Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ellis Island--Isabelle

Today our group helped out the 5th grade with their immigration simulation. Best simulation ever. No joke. Basically all of the kids were told to bring a backpack full of items and themselves to the library after lunch. I feel like it was a surprise because they really had no idea what was going on and it probably worked well because it was a surprise. Each one of us, and Gep, G-Rez and Miss Bell were assigned to a position. Positions included baggage check, currency exchange, nurses exam room, legal inspectors and a few others. Our instructions were quite literally to be mean and not feel bad about it. The 5th grade teacher specifically said "If they cry....its okay."
Cassidy and I went through all their bags and asked them why they needed each one of there objects and what they were planning to do with them. If we felt appropriate we were aloud to confiscate items without explanations. And oh how we used that opportunity. Some were meaner then others (Jimmy and Cassidy) and others played the bored out of their mind immigration officer (Ian). A few girls just about did cry and some of the boys were getting frustrated or upset. Some students were sent back to the boat due to health reasons or criminal records and those who made it through the screening process eventually made it to America (ie the 5th grade classroom). The 5th grade teacher said its something that the kids talk about for years so it was really fun for us to be a part of it.
As for how things are going...they're going awesome. I would talk about what I've learned about the Dominican people. But I feel Cassidy, Chandler, Kimmy and Bridget all covered that really well. Overall, for me this has been an incredible experience and it has confirmed that this whole international move-every-three-years lifestyle is what I'm being called to do.

Isabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment